This Rainbow Cake Recipe Will Win You Loads of Love From Your Kids
Why don’t you surprise your rug rat with something cool, funny and unique on his/her birthday? Try this ultimate rainbow cake recipe that you might have seen only on the TV or the internet.
Making rainbow birthday cake may sound complicated. But believe us! You can make this knock-out, surprise-inside rainbow layer cake just from scratch. You just need some planning, more time and knowledge of how to bake the ultimate cakes.
How to Make This Ultimate Rainbow Cake?
What do You need for Rainbow Cake?
Ingredients for cake layers:
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Gel food colors
Ingredients for American Butter Cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
Ingredients for Filling and Topping
- 2 cups of edible sprinkles, candy-coated chocolates or anything you like.
Tools You Need:
- Stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber spatula
- 3-4 9-inch round cake pans
- Serrated knife
- Wire cooling rack
- 4-inch Round cutter
- Parchment paper
- Offset spatula
Recipe for Making Rainbow Cake
- Line cake pans using parchment paper and coat with a cooking spray.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients like salt, cake flour, and baking powder.
- Make a creamy mixture of sugar and butter using the stand mixer.
- Scrape down the sides of mixer and add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract one by one. Mix all ingredients well.
- Stop and scrape down the mixer’s sides, add flour mixture (1/3 of the flour mixture at a time) and combine on slow speed until all ingredients incorporate into the batter well.
- Divide your batter according to the number of layers you want. Take the divided batter into separate bowls and add gel food coloring and mix using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the prepared batter into the cake pan and bake the dyed cake for 15-20 minutes until it easily pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Store remaining batter in a plastic wrap until the prepared and dyed batter bakes.
- Allow the baked cake to cool down, then remove from the pan, plastic wrap it, and store it at room temperature.
- Repeat dividing, coloring, and baking with the remaining batter.
Make the Frosting and Build the Cake
- To make frosting for this rainbow cake recipe, beat the butter using a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Slow down the mixer’s speed and combine sugar at medium-low speed.
- Again slow the speed of mixer and add liquid ingredients like vanilla and cream.
- Whip the combination until smooth and creamy.
- Top the two foundation layers of the rainbow cake and apply the prepared frosting all over and on the sides.
- To make the filled layer, use round cutter to cut the holes in the filled layers.
- Fill holes with sprinkles and chocolate candies.
- Place the final layers on the top of the filled layers and apply frosting. Refrigerate it for an hour.
- Now coat the entire chilled cake (top and sides) with remaining frosting.
- Decorate the cake with remaining sprinkles, strawberries and chocolate candies.
- Refrigerate the rainbow cake for an hour or overnight, slice using a sharp knife and serve chilled.
If you try this rainbow cake recipe, we’d love to hear from you.